And it could all be yours, with an auction on eBay. The auction starts at $1 with NO RESERVE.
But, I’d like to think it could raise $75.
Why? Because all the money paid by the winner is going to the Chad Fowler and Marcel Molina Jr fund for all-things Humanitarian, and so I can go to their Testing Training Day on the 17th of September in Berlin. Minimum donation is $75.
That’s right, the winner’s money could be entirely tax-deductible as its all going to charity. (You get the site’s code base and the myconfplan.com domain (cost of transfer is yours) are yours. I get entry to the workshop.
If it raises $500 then you are donating $500. If it raises $2,000,000 then you are donating $2×10^6.
The site needs an owner/occupier/developer. It needs support leading to upto RailsConf Europe, for example.
At some time in the future, it probably needs to be rewritten. I never wrote (m)any tests. It was built with Hobo, and I built it so fast I crossed the line of “playing with Hobo” and “developing and launching an app with Hobo” very quickly. If you don’t know Hobo, you’ll probably feel more confortable starting some parts from scratch, writing your tests, writing normal Rails controllers and views, etc.
Cool things you can do to MyConfPlan (please add more in the comments if can think of them):
- For the users:
- Let users have “friends” – Show their friends’ on the main session page so they can see immediately which sessions their friends are going to
- Allow Speakers to “own” their session, and allow them to update their session descriptions etc.
- Allow uploading of slides, audio, etc after a session has been completed.
- Give each session a forum before and after the session so people can discuss the session
- Allow re-importing of conference sessions from their source. Conferences keep changing/adding sessions.
- Import hCalendar HTML pages directly. O’Reilly conferences post their sessions in hCalendar microformat, so the data should be directly accessible without the ugly rake task I wrote
- Caching – its got none where it counts
So, get bidding, and own yourself a very cool website.
- MyConfPlan sale – less than 12 hours to go The auction for MyConfPlan has less than 12 hours to...
- 12 new Railsconf sessions The expansion of the Railsconf schedule has added a dozen...
- My railsconf sessions in my sidebar Jesse Newland got the JSON API a day ago and...
- Railsconf => 4 tracks; JavaOne => simultaneous 14 tracks!! MyConfPlan now includes all the sessions for next month’s JavaOne...
- Railsconf – the sessions I’ll be attending http://myconfplan.com/conferences/RailsConf2007/users/drnic This is a new site called MyConfPlan, built...